Inspired Entrepreneur
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello fellas

3 posters

Go down

Hello fellas Empty Hello fellas

Post by cbcsurvivalist Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:58 am

Hi guys, I discovered this forum through a referral link from Johnny1975 from the happierabroad forum in one of his threads. I thought I would help him out as I'm hoping the good karma will come back to assist me. I'm not sure how much information I'm comfortable disclosing at this point but I'll give you a little background as to why I decided to start learning about entrepreneurship.

About 5 months my future plans got completely crushed. I had spent 4 years working my ass off in undergrad to get all straight A's so that I could get into a prestigious graduate physiotherapy program at the University of Toronto. This meant several all nighters all throughout the school year, sacrifices of not going out with friends too much, etc. Well my hard work paid off and I was accepted into the program. Unfortunately that's when things started to go down hill. I experienced several things going on in my life including a housing and living situation crisis, a medical condition, also got diagnosed with a learning disability, and got my heart trampled on and played with by a chick in my class. I tried my best to turn things around and passed all of my exams but then I ended up failing my practical exam because they said I didn't appear "confident". I appealed it and won my case but unfortunately the program had already progressed to far for me to catch up by the time the appeals process was over so I was left with no choice but to withdraw out.

This left a huge gap on my resume as I wasn't working during my studies which proved to be quite difficult to secure any work at all, let alone work in my undergrad field. I visited the employment center for over a month going several times a week but to no avail. I was open to suggestions and someone suggested teaching english abroad. I tried applying for work in China as they seemed to have the most potential whilel Japan and Korea seemed to be out of reach due to requirements. Anyways I was told that I have an "asian face" and no school's wanted to hire me. Ouch! The only teaching job I managed to secure is an online teaching job which pays peanuts. I made like $300 total teaching for 24 hrs a week for a month.

My continued efforts applying for work was also in vain and at last I was forced to move back in with my folks due to my financial circumstances. My folks have been quick to take daily jabs at me and the constant criticism is just driving me insane and making me more and more depressed as the days go on. Seeing as my only option that was left to get myself back on my feet, I decided to learn about entrepreneurship. I discovered a blog called location180 and then religiously read the authors blog for a month. I started to apply what I learned such as creating a freelance seo writing website and to start marketing my services to local companies. Unfortunately I wasn't able to procure a single client at all after sending out close to 200 emails. However going through that process did teach me a few basic skills such as website setup using wordpress, writing articles, etc. I also tried my hand on upworks and fiverr. I discovered people were paying like pennies for writing services on upworks so I gave up after getting 1 writing gig that paid me only $5 for writing a 1000 word review article. I thus so far have only secured 1 client on fiverr for my writing services and I have about 5-6 gigs up right now.

I started researching further after discovering pat flynn's blog so now I'm trying to create a niche website, but unfortunately I think I fucked up once again because upon doing keyword research, there's hardly any searches for my niche market and for related keywords the competition is too high. So right now I'm not sure how I can monetize my blog and make some money. I'm thinking about writing an ebook but I have no experience in this area nor am I really an expert in anything. I'm not really sure what to do exactly at this point. My goal is to hopefully make enough money to sustain myself so that I can travel abroad and meet and date girls somewhere else because the city that I live in is infested with overentitled bitchy attitude two timing feminists.

So here I am unemployed and at the mercy of my folks while lost and confused on what my next steps are, hoping that there's a light at the end of the rainbow.

cbcsurvivalist

http://cbcsurvivalguide.com/

Back to top Go down

Hello fellas Empty Re: Hello fellas

Post by Admin Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 am

Hi, thanks for joining. As you can see it's heaving in here. I've got 2 ebooks on amazon and I have to say it's not easy to make any money. But I don't feel like I've wasted my time, for two reasons. Firstly, writing a couple of books has taught me a lot about patience and determination, and researching, organizing and presenting information, and secondly, how well a book sells depends on your marketing, and right now I'm no good at that but in future I will be, and then hopefully I'll start to see more sales. Also, you can use one ebook as a promotional tool for something else.

If you can figure out a topic for your first ebook, let me know and I'll give you some advice and i'll tell you how to upload a book and set everything up. Don't expect to make much money, just write a short book and just use it as an exercise. I wrote my first book in 25 days and it was 15,000 words. the reason why I was able to write in in such a short time is because it was based on a list.

Once you've decided on a topic, sit down and make a list of every point that you can make, then split it up into sub-points, and keep going until you've basically written out everything that you have to say on the topic. then, count the number of points, then ask yourself how many words on average you think you could easily write for each one, then do it. Then flesh it out and polish it. Before you know it you'll have a book. You can get a cover from fiverr.com . Depending on the topic, you could in future turn it into an information product (i.e. a course) by adding videos and illustration, diagrams.

Having a book on amazon will give you confidence. it will make you feel like you're out there, with something to offer.

Here are some links that you might find useful (not about writing ebooks, but just general entrepreneur stuff) :

https://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/t6-tell-us-about-any-useful-interesting-relevant-books-and-other-resources

Admin
Admin

https://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cbcsurvivalist Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Admin wrote:Hi, thanks for joining. As you can see it's heaving in here. I've got 2 ebooks on amazon and I have to say it's not easy to make any money. But I don't feel like I've wasted my time, for two reasons. Firstly, writing a couple of books has taught me a lot about patience and determination, and researching, organizing and presenting information, and secondly, how well a book sells depends on your marketing, and right now I'm no good at that but in future I will be, and then hopefully I'll start to see more sales. Also, you can use one ebook as a promotional tool for something else.

If you can figure out a topic for your first ebook, let me know and I'll give you some advice and i'll tell you how to upload a book and set everything up. Don't expect to make much money, just write a short book and just use it as an exercise. I wrote my first book in 25 days and it was 15,000 words. the reason why I was able to write in in such a short time is because it was based on a list.

Once you've decided on a topic, sit down and make a list of every point that you can make, then split it up into sub-points, and keep going until you've basically written out everything that you have to say on the topic. then, count the number of points, then ask yourself how many words on average you think you could easily write for each one, then do it. Then flesh it out and polish it. Before you know it you'll have a book. You can get a cover from fiverr.com . Depending on the topic, you could in future turn it into an information product (i.e. a course) by adding videos and illustration, diagrams.

Having a book on amazon will give you confidence. it will make you feel like you're out there, with something to offer.

Here are some links that you might find useful (not about writing ebooks, but just general entrepreneur stuff) :

https://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/t6-tell-us-about-any-useful-interesting-relevant-books-and-other-resources

I was thinking about writing a small ebook like 7,500 words and giving it away for free in order to get subscribers and regular visitors so that I could build a brand and then once I had enough people on my email list I would start working on the ebook so that way at least I know I have an audience who would be willing to pay for it. So your first ebook yielded you about 30 pages?

Right now I'm not sure what I should be doing because it feels like I'm trying to do too many things at once. I want to move the hell outta my parents house and travel to Europe but I don't got any money, but at the same time I'm not paying any bills so it gives me more time to work on my website and passion projects like writing an ebook.

I'm estimating I would need a minimum of $1500 ($2000 would be better) a month to live a moderate lifestyle in Eastern europe. Eating out is pretty cheap in Eastern Europe (I've been to Poland).

I'm thinking I should work on getting my free ebook finished first and then implementing it on my website, next promoting more of my fiverr writing gigs like uploading a video and advertising more as fiverr rewards people with more completed orders with a lot of exposure. People at the top actually have trouble keeping up with orders and I see all the time they have order queues of 30+ which would mean steady work for me on a regular basis. I would of course start reducing my word count, offer extras for more money in order to increase my earnings from a measly $5 once I start getting orders in. Regardless of whether or not I get any orders, I can just leave this here.

After this is done, I would tackle my freelance writing website and revamp it to look more professional and add 1-2 more articles on it. Then I would start reaching out to local businesses. My previous strategy which I followed from another blog was a complete failure in which they suggested I contact local marketing companies. I got zero sales from that. I managed to score 3 jobs by advertising on kijiji and dealing with local photography companies with a fiverr ad instead so I know there is much more opportunity going direct.

Once I have money coming in, then the money issue would be halted from my money temporarily and I can focus on writing a great ebook to sell.

Also do you mind having a look at my blog and giving me some suggestions on how I can improve it?

cbcsurvivalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:35 am

Welcome cbssurvivalist. Sounds like you've been through some bullshit. When plans go awry it can sap your motivation and leave you feeling like you're in a hole. I've been there, and I'm sure I'll be there again.

As for teaching abroad, there is, ironically, racism against Asian teachers teaching English. Apparently they didn't get the memo that languages are not genetically encoded. To get around that, you can apply in bigger cities, but then the problem becomes needing more qualifications. But even teaching outside of major cities is still possible, but you'll have to fight more to get a position.

I'm with Johhny on writing ebooks. It's a good way to go, but I suggest above all, doing what you love. It will be a slow process whatever you do. Money is much harder to come by these days. That's why my advice includes doing what you care about. If there's no passion for what you're doing, then when you see that it's hard to make money, you'll feel like quitting and probably will. The key is finding something that you love so that you'll stick with it, and these things can build other kinds of wealth too: making friends, gaining contacts, a network, references, experience, etc.

Too many third-world people on the internet now doing work for pennies. This outsourcing bullshit has struck the internet itself. It's going to be a bumpy ride getting established no matter what you do. Hopefully over time we'll find better solutions discussing things on this forum and form a little network of our own. I hope once the forum grows, we can do things like mutually reviewing each others' products. That could really get the ball rolling.

Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cbcsurvivalist Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:17 am

Update: Well I finally finished the first draft of my free ebook which I'm hoping to use to get some subscribers and start building a regular following on my blog. Its sitting close to 4000 words right now which I think is more then enough. I'm going to start putting the ebook together starting tomorrow like designing the cover, figuring out how to use mailchimp, etc.

I'm hoping once this is done, I can finally return back and focus on making some money doing freelance writing. All I need to make is $1500 a month and I can live in central and eastern europe which is where I plan on going. I can't stand my parents any longer, they are driving me completely insane especially my mother constantly nagging me every single day. I've only moved back home for 3 weeks now and already I want to get the hell out of here.

Hopefully I can get my free ebook all sorted out by early next week and then work on redesigning my freelance writing website and coming up with a different marketing strategy to acquire some clients and then once I know I can make $1500 a month regularly, I'm hoping on a plane as quickly as possible out of here.

cbcsurvivalist

Back to top Go down

Post by cbcsurvivalist Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:44 pm

@ admin

I finished my ebook and have uploaded it on my website. I could use some feedback. Trying to figure everything out took a frigging long ass time.

Next step is to focus on my freelance business and start making some money. I'm going to do a combination of studying copywriting/ working on another ebook on my free time outside of trying to get my seo article writing business off the ground.

cbcsurvivalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:43 am

cbcsurvivalist,

According to Amazon my first ebook is 83 pages. But I don't know how they work that out.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

What fiverr gigs do you do?

I'm not an expert on blogging, so I wouldn't be able to offer any specific technical advice. I had a look at it and I noticed two things. The links at the top of the page, when you hover over them, they move. I find that a bit weird. Maybe you could make it so that they change colour instead. Also, I found the site a bit slow.

I would suggest that you make it very, very clear what the blog is about. I didn't get it until I looked at the last bit on the About page. Now I get it, you're tracking your progress, but this is not immediately clear. It's important that you let people know precisely what's going on within a couple of seconds of them landing on your page. Maybe a slogan at the top. Spend all day if you have to thinking of different ways to verbalise what your blog is about. Write down keywords, and play with different possibilities.

The bit at the top that says Canadian born chinese Survival guide, when I look at it I feel like I'm looking at a banner advert, and so my instinct tells me to ignore what it says. You need to fix the whole top part and make it look better.

I could be wrong, but the bit where you've got the facebook, twitter etc, to me it feels strange for it to be on the top right. I'm sure on most blogs it's somewhere on the left. But I could be wrong. How about you do google searches for the best blogs, and look at them and see if there's anything that you can emulate. By the way your facebook and twitter links here on this forum don't work.

How long did it take you to write your ebook? If you feel like you may have rushed it, go back and spend a bit more time on it.

If you want to promote your blog, books, fiverr gigs, anything, you can do it here (and your signature) :
https://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/f11-promote-your-business

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=cy2zVYyRLIOP7AaS3oXwDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=mailchimp+tutorial&tbs=qdr:y,dur:l&tbm=vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVk-w3GLHNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWYKd28GWJ4

I've joined your mailing list and downloaded your book. I'll let you know what I think once I've read it.

www.warriorforum.com

Look up Eben Pagan.

Admin
Admin

https://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum